What you need to know about the Coronavirus outbreak?
Like the common cold the virus is spread by droplet infection when someone coughs or sneezes. You can take these simple steps to look after your own health.
- Regularly wash your hands (for at least 20 seconds with warm water and soap and dry thoroughly)
- Cover your mouth and nose when you sneeze or cough
- Stay home if you’re sick
- Avoid close contact with anyone with cold or flu like symptoms
- If you do feel unwell you should avoid public gatherings and events
- On current advice, hand and cough hygiene are more effective than masks for reducing the spread of Covoid-19 Corona virus
If you do have ANY of the following symptoms:
- Sore throat
- Difficulty breathing
You have travelled to (including transit through) mainland China, or travelled to Hong Kong, Indonesia, Iran, Italy, Japan, Singapore, South Korea, or Thailand in the 14 days before getting sick
Have had close contact with someone diagnosed or suspected of having Coronavirus in the 14 days before getting sick
You should seek medical advice by first phoning the Ministry of Health’s Healthline number 0800 358 5453 OR
If you are attending your GP, please contact Ostend Medical Centre on 09 372 5005 ahead of your visit. Our staff will inform you of what steps to take.
Where do I go for more information?
If you have access to the internet: visit www.healthy.org.nz
To speak to the dedicated Covid-19 helpline ph 0800 358 5453