Flu Vaccines at Ostend Medical
Flu vaccines are now available at Ostend Medical Centre, you can book on line via our portal or call in and book with reception.
We are offering appointments on Fridays and Mondays. The NZ Govnt has issued a list of those people who may be eligible for a free flu vaccine. If you are in any of the groups listed below, you should qualify, otherwise the charge will be $35 per person.
- all people 65 years of age and over;
- people 55 to 64 years of age (inclusive) who are Māori or any Pacific ethnicity;
- people under 65 years of age who have one of the qualifying long term conditions e.g.: coronary heart disease, asthma, diabetes, cancer (excluding non invasive) or are immuno suppressed.
For full details, please consult the following NZ Govnt website (Pharmac)
Watch Out – COVID Is About!
Despite the relaxation of some restrictions, COVID-19 and Omicron is still here and in our local community. Are you prepared?
- Create a plan and be ready to self-isolate if you need to. The Ministry of Health website provides helpful information on self-isolation and general COVID-19 and precautions you can take to keep yourself and your loved ones safe.
- Take the time to sit down with your whānau or flatmates and create a household COVID-19 response plan. Where will you isolate? Who can support you? Have you got supplies ready?
- Remember that Ostend Medical has a Duty Doctor and Duty Nurse available every day to support you if you are unwell – call us if you have questions: phone 093725005
- RATS tests are available at Ostend Medical Centre and at other locations on the island.
- You can also visit the official COVID-19 website for additional information on testing.
If you receive a positive COVID-19 result, please log your results in via mycovidrecord.health.nz or call 0800 222 478 and press option 3.
A health professional will contact you once they have received your results. In some instances, for example, if you have other pre-existing conditions our general practice team may contact you.
The majority of people can safely isolate and manage their symptoms at home and will not need any additional medical support In the meantime, please look after yourselves by taking paracetamol if needed and drinking plenty of fluids.
If you are struggling to breathe and / or are experiencing any other medical issues that require URGENT medical assistance ALWAYS CALL 111
The symptoms of Long Covid are outlined on the NZ Ministry of Health website here. Some of the most commonly reported symptoms include:
- Shortness of breath
- Low mood
- Difficulty concentrating, cognitive impairment or ‘brain fog’
- Chest pain (clinical assessment may be required to investigate the specific cause)
- Joint pain
- Muscle aches and pains
- Muscle weakness (this can be a reported symptom, and may also be clinically measured)
- Ongoing changes to smell or taste
- Fast-beating or a ‘pounding’ heart
- Sleep disturbances
Stephanie Cox, our Occupational Therapist
Have You Tried Our New Patient Portal?
Ostend Medical has a new & much improved patient portal called MyIndici.
If you are not already signed-up, please take a moment to do so, it is quick and easy. The first time you access the MyIndici portal – you may need to call us (093725005) so that we can provide you with a temporary password. Once you have logged in you can set your own password.
MyIndici patient portal will allow you to do a lot:
- 24/7 access to make and change appointments; request repeat medication; and view test results;
- Access your patient records and medical notes for consultations that take place after 1st November 2021;
- Send and receive secure messages directly to the OMC practice doctors and nurses;
- View and pay invoices – and much more !
New and Improved Reception
Work has started on improving our reception area so please bear with us as we are in that tricky stage of moving and it is rather messy at the moment!
The changes are expected to take a couple of weeks and when complete we will have a much better arrangement. The reception team will be ready to welcome you and will be the first people you see as you come in.
Our goal is to make your experience of coming into the clinic more welcoming, easier to navigate and more comfortable.
In the meantime, if you have any feedback on how we can improve the services at OMC, please feel free to contact me.